Friday 3 July 2015

Parenting books are not designed for the real world!

Parenting books..many of us have read them.. we do it as we feel it will make us better parents, more informed, educated parents who have a tool bag of techniques for any situation. If you haven't read the books you may have seen posts or blogs being shared on Facebook from different gentle parenting site. How to really connect with your child, how to stay calm and "with" your child whilst they are practically verbally or physically abusing you.
I have a book case of books, there are two which really have helped me get the basics in place and I still attempt to implement their techniques when I'm usually losing the will to live. However, the majority are just bollocks (excuse my language). If I just had one of my children, either one, I could perhaps make some of the techniques work but when you have one child kicking off, due to nobbly socks, whilst the other is kicking off about something else it's just near on impossible to implement. The funniest book was about dealing with fighting siblings. "empathise with the victim and ignore the hitter".. err.yeah that's great until you have two boys scrapping and hitting each other! Who's the bloody victim? Who started it?  Oh and don't get me started on the fact you have to actually leave the house for school or pre-school. None of these books seem to give you a quick two minute method of sorting out the problem, leaving the house, getting in the car with all children and dog to get to school in 5 minutes!
 
Then you have the books about parenting without conditions or without rewards and punishments. I do understand and agree with the theory behind it and you would never see so much as reward chart in my house (apart from the one a dietitian recently gave me for Harrison). So you read the books, you unconditionally raise your child for the first few years of their life, you feel you are doing a fairly good job and staying away from bribery and time outs. Well guess what? I hate to break it to you but this will last only until they end up going to pre-school or school. These establishments love stars, smilies, time outs "thinking" time,, the list is endless. It's like Super nanny moved in! Many parents love these methods so be prepared to feel like a total wierdo that no one really understands. Trust me, I've tried changing the methods used by emailing research against such techniques but it was a losing battle so I now simply bury my head in the sand and try and let my children know that it's actually OK not to get a smilie for this or that and actually, kind words can mean so much more. So unless you home school or live in a commune don't expect to be able to continue this unconditional way of life for your child.

Now I appreciate this blog may come across negative and many people have found books and blogs helpful. Maybe I have aswell but don't recognise it. Had I not read the books maybe I would be finding parenting even harder than I already do. Maybe I would now be on a plane far far away... who knows? What I do know is parents should not become obsessed with books and feel like a failure if the techniques don't work. Remember you are human and the world is not standing still for you to implement everything you have read. This is the real world...

No comments:

Post a Comment